Your browser does not support JavaScript.To fully experience our site, please enable it.

Facebook pixel

Do you carry your phone caseless or protected in a case?

James B. on Swappa
Swappa Staff

Personally, I’m a member of team “Always Case”. I always have a screen protector and case on my device. It doesn’t matter if it’s a $300 phone that’s a couple generations old or a new flagship, I always ride with a case. Even if I had money to burn on a new phone or screen repair every time I inevitably drop my phone, I don’t think I could carry a phone without a case. I find the tactile comfort of holding a cased device preferable to the sleek, often slippery finish on most devices.

Whenever I see someone carrying around an expensive phone without a case, I have a brief twinge of anxiety. That phone represents an awful lot of time and effort when you consider a flagship can cost a thousand dollars or more. It just takes one momentary lapse of concentration or an accidental bump to send a $1000.00 device tumbling from 2-3 feet or more to an inevitable thud, crash, crunch on the ground. When a phone is dropped from a countertop or from your hand during use, you’re lucky to get away with a scratch or scrape on the frame. Unfortunately, what’s more likely is a drop where the corner of the device impacts resulting in a cracked or chipped screen.

I don’t know about you but I don’t have enough fingers and toes to count how many times I’ve dropped my phone from 2+ feet onto a hard surface. The split second feeling of terror caused by dropping your phone is exhilarating and exhausting all at once. I prefer to have a case on my phone specifically to mitigate that terror.

You may wonder what kind of case I use. I currently have a Spigen Rugged Armor case on my iPhone 12 Pro and have used a Spigen case on my previous 3 phones. Luckily, I have yet to have my screen crack, even when dropped directly on the corner. So, it’s easy to say I will stick with Spigen for the foreseeable future because I’ve had nothing but great experiences with them. They fit my device just right and with the right case friendly screen protector, it feels like it’s metaphorically bulletproof.

What about you? Do you carry your daily driver caseless or do you lock up your device in the Fort Knox of cases?

I’d love to hear your thoughts and what your favorite cases/case brands are.

Michael on Swappa
Michael

I far prefer the feel of "naked" phones (with some exceptions), but I've been using a Peel case w/ a Spigen screen protector for the most true to form feel.

Will Verduzco on Swappa
Will Verduzco

Like Michael, I prefer the feel of "naked" phones. I don't have a case on my OnePlus 6. I guess I just like to live dangerously... What can I say?

Plus, my OP6 is a few years old now, so I don't mind if it gets a couple of scuffs here and there. But once I upgrade (thinking of switching over to the iPhone 13), I'm sure I'll rock some sort of thin case and screen protector!

Nate T. on Swappa
Nate T.

I always like "naked" but I use my phone a lot when doing outdoor activities and yard work and all of that... so I rarely actually go naked. On my 13, since it's pretty durable, I just have a very thin case that probably gives zero shock protection, and is mainly just for scratches. I'm using the Torras slim case right now and it's great.

Divya on Swappa
Divya

I don't share a great bond with electronics. Definitely in the 'Always Case' team. Currently, I'm using Torras slim case on iPhone 13 pro. In the past, I have used Spigen case on my iPhone 11 pro; ordered one for my 13 pro too but ergonomically the bulk became a little uncomfortable. Also, I've always had a screen protector on all my phones until now, taking a different route with 13 pro though.

Warren Steven on Swappa
Warren Steven

I prefer to go always with case just because I'm a person who, in order to buy a new phone I have to sell the one I got, so I always have my screen protector and case so I can sell it in very good condition. I don't really care about back finishes since I just the phone not the materials, if I'm able to rock a S21 ultra with a plastic body of course I'll go with it!

TechPlenty on Swappa
TechPlenty

Only a bumper case. Stays out of the way. Adds grip. Prevents damage from an accidental drop onto a hard surface at an angle.

Chris H. on Swappa
Chris H.

I learned my lesson years ago. Shattered screen on the second day I owned it. What an expensive lesson that was. I now keep my phone in a UAG Scout case.

Ian M. on Swappa
Ian M.

For me, it is better to have your precious phone have a case than to learn a hard lesson and pay an expensive price. I recommend checking casecoinc.com for a durable, stylish, and reasonable price cases.

Eric J. on Swappa
Eric J.

I always use a case, but I have never used a screen protector.

Post your own reply to get in on the discussion...

Disclosure: This site contains affiliate links to other sites. We may receive commissions for purchases made through these links.

Get Help, Fast

Email

[email protected]

Need help with a listing or a sale?

Submit Help Request

Helpful Links

Swappa's typical response time for help requests is around 20 minutes... That's really fast

Cart, Full of Deals

Your cart is empty :(

Login for Deals

Forums, Start a Thread

Forums, Reply

Cookies

By continuing to browse this site, you agree to our use of cookies to enhance your experience.